Friday, April 26, 2013

Cafe Mediterranean, Power Plant Mall, Rockwell

Baklava Php 80
Baklava is a sweet dessert made of layers of phyllo filled with chopped 
nuts, (pistachio or almonds) and sweetened with syrup or honey.
The first time I tasted this delicious pastry was in 1994. 
My mother brought home a huge box of baklava, 
about the size of a family pizza.  
She ordered it from a specialty shop in Chicago.
I never forgot that rich awesome sweet Mediterranean treat
and have always craved for it.  
This baklava isn't as rich as the one my mom brought home,
but it will do, for now.....
Tabouleh  Php 120
... is a Levantine Arab salad traditionally made of bulgur, tomatoes, 
cucumbers, finely chopped parsleymintonion and garlic
and seasoned with olive oillemon juice and salt.
I am not sure if I tasted the bulgur in this salad. 
Guess I have to try it again, next time.
Hummus  Php 115
..... is a Middle Eastern and Arabic food dip or spread made from cooked,
 mashed chickpeas blended with tahiniolive oil, lemon juice, salt and garlic.
Son just loves hummus.  I usually add some of the garlic and yogurt sauce
to add a little more flavor.  
Chicken Gyro Php 100
Lamb Gyro Php 195
The first time I tasted gyro was in 1985, in Riyadh.  
Hubby and I worked as dental assistants at the 
King Saud University, College of Dentistry.
We were new graduates of dentistry then.
These gyros pale in comparison with the real gyros in the Kingdom.
Maybe someday I'll be able to go back to the Middle East and 
just feast on their gyros, lamb kebabs, hummus, falafel, baklava ....
Spicy Pork Php 310
Moroccan Mint Tea  Php 80
.... a perfect beverage to wash down the spicy garlicky taste
from our palates.
********
There are three restaurants that we frequent whenever we are at the Power Plant.
That's Kulinarya, Banana Leaf and Cafe Mediterranean.
We shall be back.   Next time I'll insist on eating only cheesecakes
at Espressamente and Halohalo at Milky Way.
********
/ chicsanders 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment