Thursday, August 14, 2014

"Billed as the cheapest Michelin starred restaurant in the world..."

This restaurant opened three months ago, May 2014 at SM Megamall.  When we had lunch at the Ultimate Buffet for SIL's birthday last June, I witnessed the long lines in front of Tim Ho Wan.  Was it really worth waiting in line?  I wondered.  But I will never wait in line.  They said that it would take an hour or more and even longer during peak hours. No way!!! 

If anyone can eat words... I did ... yesterday afternoon. Son and I were at the mall and walked in front of Tim Ho Wan.  Hmmmm... there were only eight people waiting, sitting in line. Took only five minutes to get seated outside the restaurant. 

I didn't read any blogs. Didn't do my homework.  So I didn't really know what to order. Oh well... I just got the first item on the menu, The Baked Pork Buns, our usual dumplings and my latest favorite, spare ribs.
Baked Pork Buns / Php 145
Pork Siomai / Php 150
Hakaw or Prawn Dumplings / Php 160
Pork Ribs Rice or Spare Ribs / Php 170
... and that's the Congee / Php 140

The first thing I ate was the Hakaw. The plump shrimps (two pieces) were fresh and juicy.  It tasted just like Wangfu's hakaw. Phoenix Court's hakaw is still my favorite.  Next was the pork siomai. It had some sultanas (raisins from white seedless grapes) on top of each siomai. Again, these siomai were quite succulent and taste so much better than the siomai in every other restaurant I've tried.  The congee, costs twenty pesos more than ones we get at the Chinese place in Libis.  But the amount of lugaw is only half of the serving we usually get at Causeway. Tim Ho Wan's Congee is not worth waiting in line. 

When the Pork Ribs & Rice was served, the waiter poured steaming soup / broth on the ribs and rice.  I waited several minutes before taking a spoonful, afraid I'd burn my tongue. The hot rice and ribs wouldn't taste good if it became cold.  Would say this is just as good as those served in our local Chinese favorite places, not better. 

The last one I tried was the Baked Pork Buns and I am glad I saved it for last. The baked pork bun surely lived up to the extravagant, extensive publicity it's been having. I've always thought that these hypes were just publicity or promotions written by bloggers, or paid advertisements by restaurants.  But this time, I am wrong.  After that first bite, I fell  in love with these baked pork buns.  The buns were delicate, very soft, not really sweet with some richness and no oiliness.  The filling isn't the usual pork asado in our local siopao. Not too sweet, not salty, just subtle flavors and again not fatty.

I have been eating siopao and congee almost every other day since we got back from Macau.  We either buy from the kiosk at the grocery, or at the Chinese place that is on the way or the one that is out of the way, even  puto-pao. .... When I go back to Megamall,  I will line up or sit in line just to eat those Baked Pork Buns again.



No comments:

Post a Comment