Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Black Pig Charcuterie, Bar & Restaurant, Alabang

The Black Pig Charcuterie, Bar & Restaurant
2/F The Commercenter Alabang, Commerce Ave. corner East Asia Dr., 
Filinvest, Muntinlupa City
***

Several renowned celebrated prominent food bloggers recently wrote highly favorable commendatory reviews about this restaurant.  Since The Black Pig is at the same building where Dr. R's clinic is located, I decided to have my first birthday dinner treat here with  my good old pals from Dentistry.



Complimentary Bread, Olive Oil & Salted Butter
I tried one of those small breads, but when I 
cut the bread with my fingers, it crumbled.
I didn't eat it.  Didn't taste the baguette nor the butter.
Complimentary Crudites & Mustard Dip
Those vegetables were extremely small and were wilted,
probably overcooked.  I just took a photo.
Charcuterie Board / Php 850
I just had to order this  because it was highly recommended by the bloggers that I follow.
 I really had no plans of eating these preserved meat.   
These paper-thin  (actually.."Japanese paper"-thin) slices of ham did not impress.
... and these were not the same ham served to the bloggers.
How can I be sure these ham are really Iberico or Serrano, or from Spain?
They seem to look like the local Chinese Ham that I buy in Binondo.
Majestic or Adelina's  might even taste better.
***
I ordered five appetizers / starters.
Parmesan Tortellini / Php 280
The tortellini was delicious and I liked the Parmesan Crisps.
But those greens were a bit bitter, so I didn't eat them.
Mackerel & Avocado / Php 240
Can you see the mackerel? Horrible plating.
If it isn't nice to look at, it probably isn't good to eat.
Pork Terrine / Php 300
Son asked what this was. I said it's a terrine.
He said, "It's just like embotido."
Dr Tina said, "galantina".  Had no plans of touching this.
The plating is weird.
Pan Seared Tuna / Php 380
At least this had more "greens". Didn't eat this.
Mushroom Risotto / Php280
I love rice.  Their risotto was creamy and quite tasty.
There is this thin line between al dente and under-cooked.
This was definitely under-cooked.
***
The Main Entrees
Slow Cooked Seabass / Php 560
Can you find the seabass?
Open Ravioli with Quail Egg / Php 380
For this price, they could have at least placed two raviolis. 
Pan Fried Chicken / Php 480
Are you sure this was fried? The chicken looks very pale.
It must have been boiled or steamed. 
Pork Belly & Bone Marrow / Php 480
You get a teaspoon of bone marrow, soggy pork skin
and one raw leaf of bokchoy.  
For 480,  they could at least put the whole bokchoy.
***
The Desserts
Coconut Panacotta / Php 180
Lemon Sorbet to cleanse the palate. Chever, Whatever.
Are you sure there was coconut?
Apple Mille-Feuille / Php 280
Nothing spectacular.
Choco Praline Mousse ? Php 290
You could have at least placed two pieces.
Served on a "broken" plate? Bad idea.
***
The Beer Flight / Php 350
I hope Dr. R liked their beer.
***
I ordered a lot so I can get to taste more dishes.
I was curious again!
The serving portions are too small.
This restaurant is overrated and overpriced.
Too much hype and extravagant praise.
I should stop following those bloggers.
Don't even ask .... 
***
********
/ chicsanders 2014

2 comments: