Sunday, December 8, 2013

16 days to go

That's Frosty with a gingerbread man. Bowls are filled with frosted cherries, apples, blackberries and pears. Right. I am dreaming of a white Christmas, like most of my brown brothers and sisters. Christmas is a western tradition that's been embraced by my brown kin, even by our yellow neighbors. (Pardon me if I am not politically correct.)

We do have our local Christmas traditions, but I grew up singing Jingle Bells when we were toddlers. Nanay made me believe in Santa. She placed gifts on my bedside every Christmas eve. Even left me real one dollar coins, quarters and dimes and told me that Santa must have dropped these coins when he delivered the camera, portable phonograph and party dresses at midnight.  I remember my older male cousins teasing and laughing at me.  

I don't dream of having a white Christmas anymore. I can't stand that freezing cold weather.  But I do still dream of having real cherries, apples, blackberries and pears in our fruit bowls.  I'll just get me some chico, kiatkiat and mangoes for Noche Buena. Yummy thoughts again!!!

16 days to go ...


No comments:

Post a Comment